Monday, February 11, 2013

Orlando Science Center - Star Wars

 Last Wednesday, the day after Gavin's birthday, we visited the Orlando Science Center. We were there from 10 - 3:30 and could have stayed longer. It was huge and awesome. And it being a school day in February there were only a few other visitors, so we basically had the place to ourselves. For the money, I think the science center was definately a better value than SeaWorld (If we had actually paid for our SeaWorld tickets - we got ours for free via Jake's military membership). I highly recommend this museum to anyone with kids visiting Orlando. It was actually the deciding factor in our taking this trip - when I discovered that they had a limited time only Star Wars exhibit I knew it was time to go to Orlando. I think Star Wars influenced my childhood more than any other media source. I loved it then, and still do now. There was no flash photography allowed inside the exhibit so the pictures are a little lacking in quality.
 
practicing Jedi skills before the museum opened:

 
 The Star Wars exhibit consisted of various models used to make the films, costumes, behind the scenes info, interviews, and hands on science tie-ins. Fun fact: all the ship models for the original films were made the same size, then filmed at different distances to make them appear different sizes:

 too overstimulated to stop and take pictures:


 hovercraft:
 made a lego hovercraft:


 C3PO is really thin, and R2D2 is bigger than I realized:

 Gavin wanted to take my picture:

 This guy scared the crap out of me as a kid:

 This is the only thing I found disturbing. The soles of the stormtrooper boots are wood, like cowboy boots. Weird:
 Making a robot: