Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Shutdown!

We survived the furlough of federal employees this summer. I worked a little extra, Jake worked a little extra on the military side of his job, we economized, reduced our contributions to retirement savings, and it turned out ok. Our savings is still lower than we would like, but that is due in part to paying for all that lightning nonsense and buying Jake's new car with cash. We've had 2 normal paychecks since the furlough ended, and we have saved from each of them. Now the government shutdown has started. So as of today Jake is not working and not getting paid. Fun, fun. I am thankful for the savings we do have, enough to get us through several months without pay. I am also thankful for our food storage. We have a well stocked pantry and freezer, as well as lots of beans and rice if it comes to that. I'm thawing out a ham right now that we'll eat over the weekend. Fortunately I bought ahead and Halloween and Christmas are taken care of, as well as Gavin's fall/winter clothes. In fact, I went to a consignment sale a couple weeks ago and bought all these clothes for Gavin (some are for next year) for $24:
 
 I was also able to get 28 books for Gavin, including a lot of school stuff, for $9.50 at our library's used book store:

I am thankful that I was raised by a mom that taught me how to be thrifty and save money, and am thankful I have further developed these skills in recent years. Though we are without a paycheck, I am calm and optimistic. One of my favorite scriptures, one that has greatly influenced my life, is Doctrine and Covenants 38:30, which says in part "if ye are prepared ye shall not fear." We are prepared.