Monday, August 16, 2010

10 years in the making

August 14, 2000
We didn't set any 10 year goals when we got married, but if we had we would have exceeded them by now. Our life is better than I could have dreamed of 10 years ago.

Our 10th anniversary weekend was absolutely, positively, perfect. Jake and I stayed in a condo on the beach for 3 nights while my parents kept Gavin at their house, 4 miles away. It was so quiet. And restful. We got to take a nap 2 days in a row. We were tickled pink just to have time to ourselves:
Reading is better with this view:
Saturday morning (our anniversary) we both happened to wake up early, around 5:30. We sat outside and watched the sun rise. It was so peaceful. (By the way it is so humid in the morning at the beach 6 floors up that the camera lens fogs up. repeatedly). Then Jake went back to bed and I ate leftover cold Helen Back pizza. Perfect breakfast. I read a little and then went back to bed too and we both slept till almost noon.  I haven't done that since we became parents. It was awesome. Then I ate ice cream cake for brunch while reading, also awesome.

Saturday afternoon I looked down to see this guy in the kiddie pool. It made us giggle. I'm pretty sure this is what happens when you just don't care what anyone thinks:
For lunch on Saturday we went to La Paz, the mexican restaurant that catered our wedding. Still awesome. The best salsa verde I've ever had.
Friday and Saturday evenings Gavin came out to swim with us. He is making amazing progress with his swimming lessons, especially considering he has only had 9 ten minute sessions:
His only problem is that he is too adventurous, and kept trying to take off by himself in the pool. He hasn't learned how to lift his head out of the water and breathe yet, so we had to steer him back to us.

Sunday evening there was a free Lynyrd Skynyrd concert on the beach behind the Boardwalk, just on the other side of the pier you can see here in the distance (from our balcony).
.
It wasn't as crowded as we had anticipated, probably because it was raining right up until the show started. The concert was good, and Jake and I really enjoyed people watching during the show. Everything from fully decked out cowboys wearing boots on the beach to scary punk goth girl to long haired hippies. My favorite was this lady who must have been in her seventies that danced throughout the whole show. She's in the striped shirt:
Dance from Kelly C on Vimeo.

Lynyrd Skynyrd had a lot of hit songs. I realized watching the show that every 3rd song on the rock stations in Georgia is a Lynyrd Skynyrd song, Literally. It was a family friendly event, and the band even ended with a gospel song, which I thought was pretty cool.

Monday morning before we left for home we ate hamburgers and fries from Whataburger for breakfast. I even splurged and added cheese to my usual #7 combo. The perfect ending to the perfect weekend.