Wednesday, September 1, 2010

August Books

I've decided to start keeping track of the books I read. Most of them come from the library, so maybe this list will serve as a reference in case I ever recommend a book or want to re-read a section. Here are the books I finished in August:
  • The Total Money Makeover - Dave Ramsey
  • The Proper Care and Feeding of Husbands - Laura Schlessinger
  • What's a Disorganized Person to Do? - Stacey Platt
  • The Mom's Guide to Meal Makeovers - Janice Newell Bissex
  • Strangling Your Husband is Not an Option: A Practical Guide to Dramatically Improving Your Marriage  -  Merillee Browne Boyack
  • The Happiness Project - Gretchen Rubin
All of these books are worth reading in my opinion. I learned something from each one, which is my mark of a good book. I also disagreed with some of the stuff in some of them, which I guess shows I'm being at least somewhat adventurous in my reading. I learned that Dave Ramsey is sticking to his long term estimate of 12% gains in the stock market. I hope he's right. I learned how to fold a t-shirt like they do at the GAP. I thought this was way cool, whereas Jake was not impressed with this knowledge. My favorite thing that I learned was from Merillee Boyack's book, about a concept called complementary competencies. The item I most disagreed with: from Stacy Platt's book, the suggestion that a person should not own duplicate pots or pans that are the same size. What? That's just crazy talk! She must not cook much. A close 2nd place, from Laura Schlessinger's book, is the suggestion that if your husband grows a mustache or beard that you should never tell him that you don't like it. I also started a couple books that I didn't like and thus didn't finish, which I didn't keep track of. Maybe I will in September.