Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Santa's visit

Santa Clause was nice enought o visit our house a day early (Friday night) so that we could spend all day Saturday playing with toys and then go to church on Sunday.

 For the past month every time we asked Gavin what he wanted Santa to bring him for Christmas he said "big fire truck." Every single time. So he was quite pleased with this gift. It took him a while to open his other presents because he kept going back to play with the fire truck. If you ask him now what he got for Christmas he will tell you "Big. Fire truck. Ever!" I'm not sure if he means biggest ever or best ever, when questioned further he agrees to both.





 Thank you Wake and Leslie for the awesome digger!




This is a toy phone you take apart and fix by assembling all the pieces with a screwdriver. Once you fix it it rings and various characters call asking for help fixing things. One of the characters is named Kelly, which freaked Gavin out the first time he heard her name. He looked at me with a suspicious, quizzical look. What's funny is that Kelly calls and says she needs help because her shelves are falling down. Every single time Gavin thinks she says her shoulders are falling down and points to his shoulders (or sometimes he gets confused and points to his elbows).
 Giant spiderman and batman wall decals, also courtesy of Jake's parents:

 Elmo laptop:









Later in the day my good friend Robyn stopped by with a present for Gavin - lincoln logs. I didn't realize Gavin was ready for them yet but once he figured out how they work he was on a roll building all kinds of huge structures:
 According to Jake Gavin spent a great bit of the day on Sunday (Christmas day) building with lincoln logs. I saw one of his creations and it looked just like the example fort on the box - quite complex. No pictures because the camera battery was dead, and Gavin likes to "crash" his creations as soon as they're done. I spent just about all day Sunday in bed sick with some viral tonsilitis type bug. Jake has it too, but he had had the worst of it a couple days earlier. Jake was well enough to take Gavin to church while I slept. I think I might have had my first migraine. For about 24 hours my head hurt, ibuprofen didn't help, and any light, noise, or movement made it worse. I feel really bad for people who deal with that type of pain often. Jake and I are both still a little sickly today but so far Gavin is ok. He had his first bought of pink eye a couple weeks ago, and colds off and on this fall. Hopefully that will be the extent of his illness.

Gavin is lucky enough to have a 3rd set of grandparents in his life - from his birthmother's family. In my sickened state I forgot to check the mail on Saturday so their present was waiting for Gavin when I remembered to check the mail yesterday afternoon. A cars pez dispenser and a glow in the dark bumblebee shirt. Here Gavin is wearing the shirt over his pajamas because he demands to wear it nonstop. He also carried the car from the pez dispensor with him all day today.

What I find most remarkable about this Christmas is that every single item Gavin got was a winner. Nothing was too frusterating or hard for him to play with, and he has played with everything he received. I think he's growing up.