Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Bebops

Between the potty training and the frequent 3 year old tantrums it's been kinda rough at our house. Gavin is doing wonderfully with the potty training, taking himself when needed, as long as he's naked from the waste down. Often times Gavin even carries his potty into Jake's computer room when he wants to watch him play video games. The problem lies with the underwear. When he wears it it's constant accidents. As of today we've started with big bribes to try to get him to stay dry. A week or 2 ago Gavin watched a Transformers movie with Jake. Gavin is obsessed. He talks about "bebops" (robots) all day long. He has a magazine with a picture of a yellow robot in it, and he kept pointing at it over the course of several days and saying what sounded like "mawbaybe." Any guesses? Today I finally figured out what he was saying - bumblebee, the name of one of the transformers. Gavin is also getting quite upset that his hotwheel cars don't transform into robots. He has had several large throw himself on the floor fits over the issue. I keep telling him no matter how big a fit he throws I can not turn his hotwheels into transformers. So as of today we are bribing Gavin that if he can keep his underwear dry and go on the potty he can watch transformer cartoons with Daddy. My mom is sending him a couple transformer toys (Bumblebee and Optimus Prime to be exact) to aid in the bribing. Jake has even told Gavin he can look at his childhood collection of transformers if he can keep his underwear dry. Gavin got so excited when we told him this at lunch time he immediately got down and went and peed on the potty. Then he excitedly told Tyler all about the bebops. I went to the grocery store this afternoon and while Gavin was home with Jake he was able to stay dry and use the potty. Later this afternoon, on my watch, he wet himself. I'm thinking maybe Jake should take a week off work to potty train. Gavin continues to keep me entertained. Occasionally I bring up our adopting again, asking him if he would like a baby to come live with us in our house. He always says yes, and always says that he wants a girl baby. A couple times when I asked him what we should name her he said "Jill," then pointed to his head and said "hat," telling me about the Jack and Jill nursery rhyme. I guess rolling down a hill sounds fun to him. I'm thinking there must have been an episode of "Super Why" that told that story that made such an impression. Today I asked him about the baby again. He again said he wanted a girl baby. I asked him what she will say, and he said, "wah, wah, I want Gavin, I want Gavin" in a sing song voice.