Tuesday, January 15, 2013

We're trying

I didn't really want to write this post but in case Gavin ends up an only child I want him to know we tried. Today I was finally able to speak to someone at the state of Georgia about adopting children that are currently in foster care. It was not good news. The short version is that as of today it does not look like we will ever be able to adopt from foster care in the state of Georgia. They will not allow us to work with our current adoption agency or even use our current homestudy if we want to work with them. We would have to terminate our contract with our current agency and start over from scratch. All new background checks, home visits, classes, etc. And the lady said they don't really encourage adoption - they want people to foster first. And that people are on the waiting list for years to adopt. And that we couldn't even adopt the waiting children listed on the website with our current homestudy. I had a little tearful breakdown on the phone with Jake relaying this information. He later e-mailed me saying in part that it seems our faith is being tried lately for various reasons having to do with adoption. Funny he said that, because after I had gotten off the phone with him a primary song and scripture verse popped into my head.
1 Nephi 3:7  And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no  commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them.
 
 verse 3 from Nephi's Courage (primary song)
 "The Lord gives us commandments and asks us to obey.
Sometimes I am tempted to choose another way.
When I’m discouraged, and think I cannot try,
I will be courageous, and I will reply:"
Chorus
“I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.
I will go; I will do the thing the Lord commands.
I know the Lord provides a way; he wants me to obey.”
God expects us to do hard things when they are His will. But He will provide a way for us to accomplish those tasks. I definitely believe this. We will find a way if it is God's will for us to adopt. Interestingly, one of Gavin's favorite songs is Nephi's Courage. Last week he confused his teacher at school. She said they were having a long discussion  about families (she knows he's adopted.) Gavin kept talking about "baby Meephi." I told her that he was talking about Nephi from the Book of Mormon. Then I realized why - he has been saying lately that when we adopt a baby he wants us to name it Nephi. After today I'm thinking that would make a fine middle name. I still have some hope about adopting from foster care in states other than Georgia - I think there is a good chance at least Florida will work with us using our current homestudy. I will have to do some more investigating.