Friday, March 1, 2013

The Frugal Traveller

Since I didn't really explain this during the posts about our Seaworld vacation, I thought I would now. The main reason we were able to go on that vacation was that it was heavily discounted. This is how I did it:
  • Last summer I opened a new American Express card just because it gave me a $300 credit good on hotels, plane tickets, etc. I used this to pay for our hotel stay in full - saved $200 (still $100 credit left too!)
  • Anheiser Busch theme parks are generous enough to provide free tickets once per year to military members and their immediate family. Last year we got free Busch Gardens tickets, this year Seaworld. Saved us $273 plus tax (I would never pay this much for one day!)
  • Military discount at the Science Center Saved us I think $14
  • Random coupons - saved $5 at the pizza buffet, $3 at Toys R Us
Total saved = $495